Saturday, September 6, 2008

Today pickin's

This is what I got out of the garden today. Not nearly as impressive as Paige's picture of her veggies but I say it isn't too bad for an experiment in a couple of 1/2 wine barrels. The tomatoes are really starting to come on now and we will soon have TONS of carrots. The one lone strawberry is a second crop for the year...i have a few more that still need to ripen. We should have a good crop of strawberries next season. We also planted yellow peppers & cucumbers. We have one cucumber plant that is barely holding on. The other cucumber and the yellow pepper plant were destroyed early on by Allie. I was working out in the yard one day and I apparently wasn't paying enough attention to her so she started eating my plants. I hear this tearing noise and when I turn around I see her shredding one of the leaves to the pepper plant and all that was left of the plant was one lone stem sticking out of th dirt. I hoped it would recover but it didn't. She did the same thing on a different day to the cucumber plant. Gotta watch her like a hawk. Last night both Milo and Allie were trying to eat the green tomatoes that were growing over the fence. I had to scold them both several times and then I finally just moved the braches so that they were out of their reach.

4 comments:

Paige said...

They look wonderful! You're gonna have to make jam with that huge strawberry crop.

Jack and Melanie said...

LOL!! I already ate it. Boy, it was yummy! Jack was mad that I didn't save half of it for him. =0)

Anonymous said...

Veggies look pretty enough to paint into a still life. Am enjoying your blog, keep up the good work. Love, Mom/NJ

Matushka Anna said...

Melanie, I'm impressed that you did your garden in wine barrels, How awesome! My garden is coming along but I'm afraid it's going to freeze before I get any of my tomatoes. They're all GREEN. Anna