Friday, February 20, 2009

72-hour kit



Jack & I..well, mostly Jack...has been trying to get our 72 hour kits in order. I decided my contribution could be homemade firestarters. I have been wanting to make these for a long time. They are super easy & cheap to make. All it takes is cardboard egg carton (I used the carton from my Costco eggs...you get three w/ each bulk package), dryer lint, and candle wax. It cost me less then $6 to make about 50 of these big ones that are pictured. I also made mini firestarters from the part of the carton the sticks up. I tested out a mini one in the fireplace...it burned for about 5 minutes. I thought the mini ones would be great to put in a backpack for a hike. Here in Oregon we are forever hearing about people getting lost in the woods unprepared. Not the Blazer's....we would have fire!!!

3 comments:

Miss Lim said...

I looked at the picture befor I read what it was and I thought it was a bunch of dead mice lol

Jack and Melanie said...

LOL!!! Yeah, don't you know dead mice is highly recommended for your 72 hour kit!! =0)

Kelly said...

I think that they look like little mice